I was lucky enough a few years ago to work with a local family company - The Jojoba Company (TJC). I came to them at a time in my life when I needed a change in what I was doing, to get a better work life balance among other things. Whilst I was only there a year I fell in love with jojoba and how it works in so many ways on our skin.
TJC is a business that essentially began when one of the owners, Vicki Engsall, was looking for natural alternatives to everything in her life as she went down the journey to begin a family. Her father Ian Turner grew jojoba on their farm in Yenda, NSW, and the more Vicki looked into the properties of jojoba the more she saw a gap in the market for this wonderful ingredient.
Apart from a name that is difficult for many to pronounce (think Santa - ho-ho-ba) jojoba has many properties that I fell in love with and is why I continue to use their products even though I no longer work there:
1. Jojoba is naturally antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, contains Omega 6 and 9 essential fatty acids and vitamins A, D and E in ideal balance for supporting skin health.
2. Jojoba is the only plant known to produce wax esters similar to human skin and its molecular structure is a straight chain ester - what this means is that it can penetrate deeper into the epidermis. The benefit here is that a lot of the good stuff mentioned above has the chance to get down deeper rather than just sitting on the surface of the skin like a lot of oils do and ultimately block our pores.
3. It has many uses from a topical perspective including acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, preventing stretch marks, the delicate skin on babies and then for every day use as well. I use it myself every day before I use a moisturiser - and if I'm using their Ultimate Jojoba I often skip the moisturiser (with the colder weather this isn't going to be enough though for my skin).
4. Its 100% natural and it is grown in Australia (the TJC range is) - two big ticks in my book!
5. I have also used jojoba before as a base cream for herbal creams that I create - it is beautifully nourishing and as I mentioned above it allows the rest of the ingredients I blend with it to penetrate deeper into the skin.
Our skin is our largest organ - what we put on it gets absorbed into our bloodstream and can have detrimental effects on our health. If you're looking for a new addition to your skin care routine then I would really recommend this wonderful ingredient!
Note: I wrote this in memory of a wonderful man Chris Black, who passed away suddenly this year. Chris was with TJC from the start and was the biggest jojoba advocate you would ever meet - his motivation and passion was contagious. RIP Chris.